Sunday, July 8, 2012

Here am I Jesus..


Today I got to experience first hand the bondage of the Hindu religion and culture. Over the last week we have been taking Nepali language lessons. They have been hard, but we have laughed a lot at each other and ourselves through these lessons. Our Nepali teacher, Deepa, is a hindu. Today as we were learning the different words and names for mom (aamaa) and dad (baa) and everyone else is our families, she started talking to us about her family and story. Her Nepali accent is so sweet to listen to. She has two kids, a son who is 18 and a daughter who is 20. She teaches Nepali lessons to pay to put them through college since she doesn’t have a husband. Back in 2001 a major conflict arose in Nepal between the government and Maoist group (Maoists are basically the bad guys). In 2001 the Queen and King were killed and the entire country went into an up roar over who was going to take over. During this time, the Maoists attacked several times in several cities. In an explosion triggered by the Maoists, Deepa lost her husband. In the Hindu culture, a widow is considered bad luck. After she lost her husband her friends stopped talking to her. She is not allowed to wear red, and if she does people will start accusing her and thinking bad things of her. She is not allowed to wear necklaces or big bangle bracelets. After her husband died, her kids also had to eat separately from the other kids at school. A lot of times her children were also made fun of by students and teachers as well.

Hearing all of this I wanted to cry. There was no hope in her eyes. She just kept repeating “but I don’t care. I don’t listen to them.” The lies that this country believes, is hopeless. The way this culture allows people to be treated is unthinkable.

This city needs Jesus. This country needs Jesus. This world needs Jesus.

I am excited to see that Jesus is sending me to tell this world of his love and hope that we find in Him. I am in awe that Jesus is allowing me to be part of his plan to further the kingdom. He is including all of us in His plan.

Beloved, be strong and courageous. GO into all the world and preach the goods news to all creation. In your school. In your job. In Nepal. In Atlanta. In Peachtree city & Tyrone.  

I want to live my life courageously. To not think about what I will miss out on when I am sent to another place. I don’t want to live my life for myself anymore.

Here am I Jesus, all of me. 

1 comment:

  1. Emilee, your blog is great, I have been praying for you and I have a much better idea of what to pray for because of the blog. Keep pressing on sister.

    ReplyDelete